Day 2: Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa

On the first day, Christine and I just went out to dinner and just wandered aimlessly in the Mall of Emirates. I got to know the railway system, found out where I can go skiing, if in case I felt like it, and bought a few things. Overall, my Moves app registered a total of 14, 289 steps.

I would love to hit a goal of 10,000 steps everyday. And I think commuting around Dubai would definitely make you hit that with no problem. Actually, just walking around the mall would make you hit it. LOL.

Moving on, despite how late we got home, I still woke up pretty early. It wasn’t because I was uncomfortable in bed, but because I just got enough rest. I was going to have breakfast, but I was too preoccupied with my laptop and phone, that time just went by and I missed it.

The hostel gave me an access card to get to the pool and gym. Christine used to swim competitively when she was still in high school and was pretty much thrilled to even see a swimming pool. She grew up with the sea right behind her home, so you can just imagine how happy she was when I told her that we can use the pool. The pool opens from 10am til 10pm. At exactly 10am, I woke her up so we can go swimming, but she rolled over to her side and refused.

“Ayaw na lang, ‘te.” she said. (Let’s cancel, ‘te.)

“Sure ka?” I said. (Are you sure?)

“O, dili lang sah karon ‘te.” she replied. (Yeah, not today.)

So I left it at that. I let her sleep more, and I went out to the balcony to take a shot of Palm Jumeirah—again. About an hour later, she called me, looking for me, asking me where I was. As soon as I told her I was out on the balcony, she came out with her towel around her neck. She was in a hurry to get to the pool.

We hurriedly changed into our swimsuits and went down the elevator. She hated the elevator. We lived on the 66th floor and the pool was on the 5th floor. The pressure from going down made her extremely uncomfortable. The pool area was empty except for the lady who looks out for it. Selfies were taken and a few pictures and videos were filmed.

Fifteen to twenty minutes after swimming, we had to leave the pool because she had to get ready for work. We were getting hungry anyway, so we decided to head off to the airport for some food, since everywhere else was closed til Ramadan was over.

Fast forward to more than an hour later, we got on the Tram and then the Metro, and was on the way to the airport. At the airport, we took it slow and just had a late lunch. That same afternoon, I headed to the Dubai Mall to meet up with my cousin. We haven’t seen each other since we were still students and despite how we have never really been as close as we would have liked to be, we were still family who looked out for each other.

We met shortly before Iftar, and caught up with pretty much a lot of things. For someone who worked in malls, he wasn’t any good at finding the food court. 😂😅

We had pizza and frappes, then went to see the dancing fountain, which also had the Burj Khalifa in the background, from where we stood. While waiting for the show to start, my cousin took pictures of me since it was pretty much his turf.

I’ve seen my share of dancing fountains, but this one stood out the most. It was probably the music they played with it. Check it out yourself.

Amazeballs. I’m pretty sure there are better videos of the fountain that you can find on Youtube, but nothing beats watching it live. Maybe I’ll even go back to film a better shot. After the fountain, we went back into the mall and checked the aquarium out.

What aquarium? This aquarium. The Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo.

Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to breathe underwater and swim with these beautiful creatures?

A post shared by Wilhelmina Sarawi-Paradero (@wsarawi) on

I could have gone inside, but since we were running out of time, and I didn’t want to miss the Metro, we just stayed outside and took pictures. It was awkward for me to have my pictures taken by somebody else, but I did my best to look decent. LOL.

I’ve been telling people to be more confident, but I never paid attention to myself when it was my turn to have my pictures taken. I was so used to taking other people’s pictures that I forgot that I can be a subject too.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read as far as this. ☺

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *